All events to commemorate AIDS day are sponsored by various people in our community. We want to share the 2013 AIDS Day as a high light of them all because it was a big collaborative effort. In 2014 the Online Computer Library Center (OCLA) Europe, Middle East and Africa Region (EMEA) hosted librarians conference in Cape Town. The Sunshine Team nominated Lintle Community Awakening to present a lightening talk under the title “If you want to go fast, go alone! If you want to go far go together”. For us the 2013 AIDS commemoration event demonstrated this African proverb very well.
We needed just below R50000-00 (fifty thousand rand) to pull the event but could only raise just over R6000-00!! (six thousand rand) Our training recipients and community partners and sponsors did much to rescue the situation:
- Hatfield Christian Church North availed a free venue for the even;
- We received free meat and vegetables from a local butcher
- Mofepe Catering provided free rice and cooking labour
- Rhythm Kulture Jazz group provided Live jazz music for free
- Good Hope Community Centre rendered traditional dance
- We had a professional poet for free
- Telkom Mobile provided goodie bags for guests and attendees as well as golf shirts for our registration crew
- Two of our own trainee librarians delivered informative speeches to the audience. This was perhaps our proudest moment of the event
- Lintle Community provided free photography as usual
The R6000-00 collected was then used to pay for sound engineering, transportation of various groups to and from the venue, books prizes for the best librarian speaker as voted for by the audience, (the book prize was to be given to the library where the librarian worked), personal prize for the same librarian, honorarium for the guest speaker, and cleaning the venue after the event.
Mpho Masienyane presenting @ OCL EMEA Conference. **** Mr. Robert Moropa & John Tsebe present a token to Mpho.
2013 AIDS Day:One of the highlights of our collaborative community initiatives.